19 May 2018 / Club News

Markham end league season with big win at the home of the Dragons

Markham finished their season with a big win over Brynithel under the sun at Rodney Parade. The game was very tight in the first twenty-five minutes with both sides having success moving forward, Markham through the backs, Brynithel through their forwards. Markham, however were the more clinical side as man of the match captain Gavin Price grabbed a brace of tries. The first coming after an excellent break out wide from Price before an excellent finish. His second try came after another swift break from the Village which was finished off by Price. The rest of the first half was tense with both sides trying to find the killer move to the break the other sides defence, the decisive score came right on the half time whistle, Price again instrumental in the move, the ball was moved wide right before a strong finish in the corner from Luke Hughes, Iwen Edwards made a difficult conversion to give Markham a commanding 17-0 lead at the half.

It got even better for the captain and Markham at the start of the second half, a difficult high ball bounced around and it could have easily bounce into Brynithel’s hands, instead it was collected by Gavin Price who took it and sprinted down the left wing to complete a superb hat trick. Price got his fourth try, David Davies took a quick tap against a tired defence and broke straight through – he unselfishly passed to the captain for an easy score under the posts. It was now a case of many more for the Village. The Village went on to add three more tries and bring up the fifty-point mark. Brynithel continued to show spirit, but it was soon broken when Nathan Hughes intercepted the ball and sprinted away to take the lead out to 36-0. There was no mercy for Brynithel as Markham continued to have immediate impact off the bench, Andrew Peters battered the line with a big carry before Markham moved easily into the 22, Peters then took the ball again and powered his way over for an excellent try in the corner. Then there was another magic opportunistic moment from Nathan Hughes who got a second interception and sprinted away to complete a brace and Edwards added the extras to bring up fifty points. Despite being fifty points down, there was finally one moment for Brynithel to celebrate as they kept pushing for a try, they powered their way forward through their pack – before finally pushing their over for a deserved score, a consolation as Markham were too clinical and too good on the day. A chance to play at Rodney Parade will live long in the memories for both teams.

As this is the final league report of the season, I would like to thank all the players, committee and especially the supporters for reading and sharing the reports. We look forward to the Cup Final on the 31st and hopefully a very successful season for the Village in 2018/2019.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos

You must be signed in to add comments