17 May 2018 / Club News

Markham get much needed win in end of season thriller against Rhymney

Markham headed into the game looking for revenge after suffering their first defeat of the season in Rhymney earlier in the season. Both sides had nothing much to play for, but both teams 110% in what turned out to be an incredibly enthralling game.

Markham looked to move the ball wide early but were matched smartly by the Rhymney defence. Their rush defence paid off after they intercepted the ball and got into Markham’s 22. The ball was recycled quickly and effectively as they cruised over for an easy opportunistic try, the conversion was added for a 7-0 lead. Markham responded almost immediately, continuing to move the ball wide, this time captain Gavin Price broke through the defence with an excellent angled run – before passing wide to Dewi Carpenter, the Rhymney defence scrambled well to deny a certain try. However, the ball was stolen by Man of the Match Andrew Peters and Markham busted through close to the try line. Great thinking from Bob the prop surprised the defence and dived over for a try to draw the sides level.

Then in what was very intense first half with both sides trading blows back and for, Rhymney’s backs continued to attack at pace finding space down the wing. They looked certain to score another try, but some outstanding ripping work from Ieuan Hale prevented a try. Rhymney had a lot of the ball in the first half and were much more intense at the breakdown winning several turnovers, they couldn’t turn the pressure into points, as Markham’s last gasp defence continued to deny them. After weathering a storm, a moment of magic gave Markham an important lead at half time, Danyl Davies threw a superb pass to Carpenter who snapped the ankles of the defender with a vicious step, he handed off another defender before running away for a superb try, Markham with a significant seven point at the half.

Markham played smart at the beginning of the second half, playing the territory game and waiting for the away side to make mistakes. Rhymney’s indiscipline cost them as quick thinking from Danyl Davies in the 22, extended Markham’s lead after he fended off a weak tackle before scoring Markham’s third try – Markham now led 19-7. Rhymney continued to threaten but failed to execute in the 22, and Markham were clinical scoring another three tries to seal the victory. Markham’s bonus point try came after the ball was spun out wide, the ball was kicked ahead and collected by Danyl Davies with the away side making no attempt to collect the ball on the full, Davies touched down to stretch the lead to 26-7. Rhymney in desperation were forcing the ball slightly in the 22, loose ball was kicked ahead by Dewi Carpenter, he collected the ball before dragging a defender with him and superbly placing the ball on the line as the Village piled on the points. There was more individual brilliance from captain Gavin Price who attacked down the wing dancing around defenders before stepping inside for a great score against a demotivated defence, Markham now leading 38-7.

With the victory secured, Markham played conservatively allowing Rhymney to regain energy and have a go in the final five minutes, they did just that. Their second try came after far too much pressure in the Markham 22, they powered over to get a consolation. They closed the game with a try on the last play, a great move down the left wing saw them score a third try to make the score line respectable. The final whistle blew as Markham celebrated a much-needed victory and it will give them great confidence heading into the season next year. The Village close out their league season with a game against Brynithel RFC, kick off Saturday 19th May, 11am at Rodney Parade!

Tries: Dewi Carpenter (2), Danyl Davies (2), Gavin Price, Bob the prop

Man of the Match: Andrew Peters

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos

You must be signed in to add comments