17 October 2019 / Club News

Markham advance to next round of WRU Shield after impressive win over West Mon RFC

Markham came into this game off the back of a 100+ points win over Cwmcarn, and their confidence showed early on more than matching a very physical West Mon team. Markham were threatening early on, but couldn't quite string the right series of passes together on a narrow pitch. The away side took a deserved lead on the stroke of the first quarter of the game, the Village surprisingly getting an upper hand in the scrum and dominating the opposition forcing them back with great power. With penalty advantage, Dewi Carpenter took the ball without any pressure he flipped it inside to captain Kris Meredith who broke two tackles before crashing over for a try, the conversion was added to give Markham a 7-0 lead.

West Mon finally got some territory follow but were thwarted by Markham's defence, who used the choke tackle to great effect, man of the match Hywel Jones had a particularly impressive first half. The away side did get some points on the board on the stroke of half time, and the home side would have been annoyed only going in four points to the good at 7-3. 

Markham continued to dominate the game in the early part of the second half, completely dominant in the scrum getting vital possession and territory, Markham gained several turnovers and of them resulted in a try with a superb effort from Dewi Carpenter who chipped in behind and backed his pace to dive on the ball for a try. He got a brace of tries shortly after, a great carry from Lewis Hughes put Markham over the gainline, the ball was spread wide before a lovely chip in behind gave Dewi Carpenter the chance to run down the ball, after the home side knocked the ball on trying to secure possession, Carpenter made no mistake and pounced on the ball to give the Village a valuable 17-3 lead going in to the final quarter of the game.

The home side's pride was hurt after getting dominated physically throughout the game, and they responded well after going behind, Markham up by 14 on the scoreboard but down to 14 on the pitch and the home side carried very well, the Village' resilience finally broke as West Mon got a much needed score. The conversion was missed, leaving them with an uphill battle in the last ten. The away side, however didn't let their heads drop and kept great composure in the final ten minutes, they were forced to make a number of substitutes through injury and the subs gave it their all to see off the final minutes helped by a brilliant performance from the pack. The referee's whistle blew for full time, the Village can now look forward to trying to go deep in the WRU Shield. 

Final Score: West Mon 8-17 Markham

Try Scorers: D.Carpenter (2), K. Meredith 

Man of the Match: Hywel Jones

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos

You must be signed in to add comments