15 April 2017 / Club News

Markham get another big win after a blistering first half performance

The two sides played out a very tight contest in the reverse fixture, with Markham holding out New Panteg for six minutes on their try line at the end of the game to secure a 21-17 victory. This game couldn’t be any more different after an emphatic first half performance from the Village.

Markham came fast out of the blocks with powerful carries from the forwards, a pass out wide put Gavin Price into space, he broke through a tackle before finishing under the post for an early score, Gareth Price added the conversion for a 7-0 lead. New Panteg responded well by moving into Markham’s half with several phases, however a wide pass was pounced on by Gavin Price who sprinted seventy metres up the field to score his 2nd try and deliver a blow to the away side’s hopes of winning. The rest of the first half was completely dominated by Markham who were physical and absolutely relentless in attack.

After powerful carriers from Stefan Evans and Man of The Match Gareth Price, Markham entered the away side’s 22 with ease. Scrum half Ryan Jones run across the defence to draw players in before delivering a pass to Dewi Carpenter who finished well to make the score 19-0, the conversion was added to make the score 21-0. New Panteg had a good period of possession but were unable to crack Markham’s stout defence, Markham then put Panteg under pressure turning defence into attack, and the away side could only concede a penalty which was struck well by Gareth Price who increased the lead to 24-0.  The next try came from the old warrior Simon Morgan who brilliantly sidestepped a Panteg player in their 22 and jogged to the try line for a brilliant try, New Panteg almost responded with their own try but the ball just dropped over the dead ball line before he touched it down.

The Village were at their clinical best, a simple move from a lineout created the next try. A good pass from Gareth Price onto Kris Meredith coming at full pace saw him burst through a gap and score under the posts, the conversion was added to make the score 38-0. The away side got on the scoreboard after a very good break from their fly half, who finished strongly over the line for their first try. The away side then went back to making mistakes, a poor kick in their own half allowed Lewis Benjamin to run at full pace into space, he was tackled but managed to slip a sublime offload to Dewi Carpenter to restore Markham’s 38 point lead. Things got worse for the away side after they received a yellow card for indiscipline, another signature angled run from Kris Meredith in Panteg’s 22 saw him score his 2nd try of the game. The Village even had time to score another try before the half time whistle, Gareth Price initially waited before running through a gap in the defence, and sprinted towards the try line, the placed the ball back before Dewi Carpenter scooped the ball up and scored his 2nd try of the game under the posts. A breath taking display from Markham in a dominant 1st half, leading 59-7.

The second half was much different with both teams scoring nineteen points each. Markham were sloppy at the restart and the away side started positively with good hands out wide and an easy try was scored in the corner, Markham responded well by scoring two more tries. Gareth Price was instrumental once again with another good run before passing to Jordan Watkins, who passed a superb offload back inside to Gareth Price who got a deserved try, Markham then moved well off the back of a maul with Iwen Edwards breaking through before a great pass to Ben Matthews who finished to extend Markham’s lead to 71-14.

New Panteg then responded with two tries of their own, after more sloppy play from Markham in their own 22 the away side turned the ball over and passed the ball out wide for a simple try for the Panteg centre, after a good period of possession they scored again after good hands and an easy finish in the corner to reduce the deficit to 71-26. The home side would have the last say, after turning the ball over in their own half captain Gavin Price chipped the ball forward, and Kris Meredith gathered the ball and sprinted away to complete an impressive hat trick. Despite a shaky second half performance it was an impressive statement victory for the Village as we enter the final stages of another excellent season.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos

You must be signed in to add comments